Minnesota Public Radio | American Public Radio | Intern, Impact Initiatives – Marketing
This job post has expired
- Hours: 24 hours per week
- Location: St. Paul, MN
- Start Date: January 7, 2020 - March 27, 2020
- Application Deadline: October 18, 2019. Cover letter is required for this application. Please scroll to the "Next Step in the Application" section for more information.
Are you looking for Internships/Fellowships at the largest station-based public radio organization in the US?
If so, look no further. Our Internship and Fellowship program will give YOU the real-world experience you are seeking in production, research, reporting, interviewing, audio and digital storytelling and more, as well as experience in public media operations. In addition to professional development, this program will help you build a network with other professionals in the industry. Don't miss out on the chance to build your professional portfolio alongside the best people within public media.
We are Minnesota Public Radio | American Public Media
Minnesota Public Radio (MPR) is one of the nation's premier public radio stations producing programming for radio, digital and live audiences and operates a 46-station radio network serving nearly all of Minnesota and parts of surrounding states. Reaching 1 million listeners each week, MPR and its three regional services'MPR News, Classical MPR and The Current'produce programming for radio, digital and live audiences.
Our impact initiatives include:
The Water Main builds public will in support of clean, abundant, accessible water. We do this as a hub that brings people together, informs and expands perspectives, catalyzes new thinking and action, and collaborates with stakeholders. By doing this, we will serve more people and strengthen American Public Media's public service.
Call to Mind is an initiative to foster new conversations about mental health. Mental wellbeing is for everyone. All of us experience various levels of mental wellbeing at different points in our life. Half of us will personally experience at least one mental health condition in our lifetime. And yet misconception and discrimination still exist, causing people to feel shame, suffer in silence, and either not seek or be able to access treatment.
APM Research Lab & Analyst Group helps American Public Media and Minnesota Public Media accomplish ambitious goals related to informing the public by producing credible research- and analysis-based content.
Intern, Impact Initiatives Marketing
The Impact Initiatives Marketing Intern will support the Marketing Manager in promotional activities to grow awareness for the Impact Initiatives at American Public Media | Minnesota Public Radio. This is a unique opportunity to gain marketing experience for impact-driven initiatives within a renowned nonprofit media organization. The impact initiatives that this role will work with are the Water Main (clean water initiative), Call to Mind (mental health initiative), and the APM Research Lab (internal research team). The intern may also have an opportunity to work on early framing of the Early Childhood initiative.
Key Learning Goals:
- Develop skills in marketing execution, including messaging, project management, client relations, and event engagement.
- Apply theories learned in marketing / branding / consumer behavior to real-life business cases.
- Gain perspective and understanding of how a multi-functional marketing team operates.
- Manage event presence.
- Develop and manage marketing inventory process.
- Support the Marketing Manager with execution of marketing plans.
- Assist with event promotions and execution.
- Sophomores, Juniors, or Seniors in an undergraduate or Master's program OR have earned a degree in advertising, marketing or communications within the last 12 months.
- Active interest in mission-driven organizations
- Understanding of the Microsoft Office suite
- Interest or experience in event management or execution
- Tabling experience for organizations
Next Step in the Application:
In addition to your skills and knowledge, we want to get to know you in the application process. In addition to your resume, please include a cover letter (of no more than 1 page) with answers to the following:
1. What professional skills would you like to add to your toolbox in the months and years to come to grow within your career?
2. Where do you see yourself professionally in five-years and how will this role help you achieve that goal?
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Required to move about in an office environment and sit for extended periods of time.
- Required to move about in the community.
- Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping.
- Moderate noise level.
- Occasional exposure to prevalent weather conditions.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are committed to hiring a breadth of diverse professionals and encourage members of diverse groups to apply.