"What I Learned in 2013" is a series focused on sharing a few nuggets of wisdom from some of the top ad and design people in the Twin Cities. Here is what they've learned and what they're thinking about in the coming year.
14 things I'm thinking about for '14:
- Find out when the second half of the final season of Breaking Bad is going to be on Netflix.
- Send belated Happy Holiday cards to our clients, thanking them for choosing to work with us.
- Get better at putting my iPhone away when I'm spending time with my family.
- Act on some really good business advice I've recently received.
- Decide if it's important to figure out what "hipster" means.
- Act on my renewed inspiration and excitement for the future of this industry.
- Use the old fashioned telephone more often instead of emailing and texting.
- Get my hands dirty with the super cool screen printing gear we finally setup.
- Add to my collection of heavy metal concert t-shirts.
- Figure out how to make our business more relevant, but to fewer people.
- Read that article on how to conquer procrastination that's been on my desk for 9 months.
- Celebrate Sussner Design Company's 15th anniversary this Summer.
- Address the question my 8-year-old son asked me after spending a day in my office: "Dad - you went to school for graphic design, and now you run a design firm. So - all you do all day is ...email?"
- Remind myself how fortunate I am to love my job as much as I ever have.